We are looking for a candidate to join the infrastructure Unix Engineer team within the Infrastructure Security Operations area. This is a role for a Senior Unix Systems Engineer, who is very operationally minded, working within a fast moving highly technical environment. You will be a senior member of the team with opportunity to interface with various teams within the bank.
- You will have a technical background with proven working knowledge of Solaris, AIX, Linux/SUSE/RHAT/OEL and Veritas;
- You will be the sort of person who welcomes responsibility and you will proactively look to identify and improve existing processes and practices within the environment;
- You will have proven experience of large scale server environments;
- Your background will include roles that have given you responsibilities for a team as well as evidence of pro-actively improving process and operating procedures within an operational environment;
- You will come from a financial services environment or have (and be able to clearly articulate) a directly transferable and relevant industry experience;
- Your SA experience will include working with application and project teams; you will also be able to demonstrate a strong operational mindset;
- Your communications skills will be to an extremely high standard as you will be expected to liaise with Incident and Problem Management teams as well as Business Unit clients, conversing and highlighting issues or assisting them in the planning and implementation of major project work;
- You will have a clear understanding of the ITIL processes and an understanding of Incident, Problem and Change Management;
- You will be recognized as a leader, a person that other people seek out for assistance and advice that you always willing to share;
- Receives and resolves escalations;
- Plans and implements scheduled changes;
- You will be a team player and inspire others around you to meet your high standards and levels of diligence;
- Perform System Maintenance Activity including OS patching, firmware upgrade & SAN stack upgrades;
- Maintains a secure server environment by working very closely with UNIX TISO & remediate an audit situation when it arises;
- Participates in Datacenter power down or PMM activity driven by various groups;
- Participates in yearly Disaster Recovery program to ensure DR functionality of all production environment;
- Interacts with various groups regionally & globally to ensure global consistency of various UNIX product offering as a part of ongoing Global Support Model;
- You are looking for a challenging and truly global role in a fast paced and constantly changing tier one Investment Banking Enterprise Technology environment.
Role and responsibilities
- A point of escalation for all SAs within your team and the wider SA community;
- A point of escalation for client issues;
- A point of escalation for major issues including being an Incident and Problem Management representative for Unix;
- Take ownership of root cause investigations for service impacting incidents;
- Take ownership of remediation streams and tasks as a result of Problem Management investigations and manage the streams/tasks to completion;
- Take ownership and responsibility for Business aligned service improvement plans;
- An appreciation of business deadlines, and priorities balanced with best security practices and working methods;
- Understanding of risk analysis and assessment;
- Identification of areas of technical or operational weaknesses, design and then take ownership of suitable remediation plans;
- Documentation of process and concepts to assist in even distribution of knowledge in the wider Unix SA teams.
Essential Technical Skills:
- Solaris 10 (and earlier releases) (advanced troubleshooting),
- Solaris 10 Zones,
- Linux (Redhat, SUSE, OEL, VMware) (advanced troubleshooting),
- Public Cloud (AWS, Google, Azure, …),
- Veritas Cluster Server (advanced troubleshooting),
- Veritas Volume Manager (advanced troubleshooting),
- Veritas File System,
- Sun Volume Manger,
- Very strong Shell scripting,
- EMC San technologies (RDF, DMX, Symmetric Unix Command set),
- Documentation skills (sharepoint, wiki).
Preferable Technical Skills:
- iTIL foundation,
- HDS storage technologies (TrueCopy),
- AIX Administration skills,
- experience/exposure with security products.
Education / Qualifications Req:
- 4 year degree or equivalent industry experience.
Background/ Work Experience Required:
- 12+ years of experience in UNIX Engineering and Systems Administration both Solaris and Linux, very strong shell scripting, preferably in the financial sector.
Special Circumstances: e.g travel, shift patterns
- Professional Working Day